SHADOWS

Saguaro National Park Visitor's Center 2

In Jungian psychology, it is said that the ‘shadow’ parts of someone’s personality are those items that the subconscious mind refuses to recognize in oneself. More often than not, these are unpleasant parts of ourselves that we don’t want to acknowledge. Sometimes positive aspects of ourselves, when having low self-esteem, can also not be recognized. Like the art or music prodigy who is massively talented, but also so insecure they can’t believe in their own capabilities.

General Store Shadows

Are you afraid of what’s in the shadows? Is there something lurking in there that can jump out and surprise you? Maybe there is unseen danger. Maybe there are hidden treasures.

But these interpretations and “deep thoughts” are really not the main subject of this blog post. I would like a show of hands as to how many of you have been sitting mostly in an outdoor setting, just relaxing and you slowly become aware of the shadow patterns of the things around you. Long shadows, fat shadows, moving-in-the-wind shadows. A lot of times the shadows are much more interesting than the thing that is casting them.

Obviously, if you are walking and the sun is low behind you, you notice your own shadow and the amusing distortion you see walking away from you. You are larger than life. Maybe something we should all strive for in ourselves. Just leave the ego behind in the process.

Old Stone Bench


 

I’m often out in nature or looking at architecture and the first thing that grabs my attention is the shadow pattern cast on the side of buildings, on the snow on a sunny day in the woods, on random items that would normally not be that interesting to look at. The shadows change the entire mood and composition of what you are looking at. It gives new meaning to “seeing things in black and white” (even if they are colorful). Yin and Yang, positive and negative.

I will leave you with some images from my portfolio that I thought were too interesting to pass by when I had my camera with me. They are some of my favorite images. If you like these, please visit my portfolio to see what else I have to offer:

mary-bedy.pixels.com



Shadow Dance 012119








Snow Shadow Creature 012119


Snow Shadows and Yellow Leaves











Tent and Shadows 7










Umbrella Abstract 2









White Fence and Shadows 6


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Am An Artist

ESCAPE

The Industrial Look