The Color Green

Curving Birch
Just Googling “the color green”, you get information like “there are 297 shades of the color green”. I don’t know how someone determines that - it sounds kind of subjective to me, but maybe there are scientific studies that supported that conclusion. But does that veer off into “kind of green” or “blue-green”? It’s probably more complicated than I care to know.

Fall Forest Glow

My mother and I used to have arguments about whether something was more blue than green or green than blue. I think she had trouble seeing some aqua hues, but maybe it’s me that can’t see some shades of green. How would you know? I have no color blindness, according to regular eye exams. Some languages only have color words that encompass blue and green together, and they don’t distinguish between these shades on the color wheel. I think mom and I would have benefitted from such a word when discussing wall colors, although maybe one of us would have been disappointed with the ultimate choice.

The color green is obviously related with fertility in nature and also to the concept of “rest” and “renewal”. But what else does it signify besides the natural world? In some countries, green equates to wealth, including the US (greenbacks, etc). In English we also equate green with envy, jealousy, and illness (green around the gills). For those who see human auras, it’s generally agreed that most healers - doctors, nurses, and natural healers - are surrounded with brilliant green auras, thus green is also associated with the concept of healing.

Dow Gardens Lily Pads

In the world of art, green is a subtractive color being the combination of blue and yellow. In art, the primary colors are considered red, yellow and blue, but in physics and technology, the primary colors are considered red, green and blue, which comes from the fact that you can combine these three through a prism and get pure white light. The explanations for all these variances and how they are perceived get really complicated and confusing, but if you Google analyses of additive and subtractive primaries (if you enjoy really dry, complicated text, or if you are just really into color theory), you can find some long-winded explanations.

Forest Green 11


For the purposes of this particular blog post, let’s just call green “a very pleasant color” and enjoy some samples from nature.

For more of my images, please visit my galley here:

mary-bedy.pixels.com





Forest Path 1


Forest Ferns


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Am An Artist

ESCAPE

The Industrial Look