I Am An Artist

Buttons and Stripes
                             

 I am an artist

Growing up, I wanted to be an artist. I think growing up a LOT of people want to be artists. Then reality sinks in and most of us go another route to be able to buy our groceries. In my case, I had a 42 year career managing a translation company, after having obtained a degree in Spanish with a minor in French. That was my vocation.

A Feather on the Beach 091523


Along the way, I did take time to paint in oil, and I took some adult education classes like painting, life drawing, and art history at the local community college. That kind of slowed way down when the chosen vocation demanded more and more of my time while also raising a family.

That said, I am an artist. I have always been an artist. I never made a living at it, and until about 15 years ago, I never made any money at it either, but I am an artist.                             

I, and many of my fellow artists have been frowned upon, treated poorly and even belittled and berated because we do not have degrees in art, nor have we ever made a living at it. It took years for me to realize THAT DOESN’T MATTER.

Hand Study 7


I did write a previous blog entry about being treated “lesser than” by a particular “professional” and “trained” artist, at which I took great offense because I work hard at it. It’s not just a hobby for me. I have now come to the conclusion that I can call myself an artist, hold my head up high and mean it.

Don’t get me wrong - I admire those who do make their living as artists and I believe an art education really does provide a solid base for an understanding of the principals of art, providing an artist with a good starting point for their chosen medium. I’m friends with classically and academically trained artists with a degree in art. My daughter has an art degree. 

Since I don’t have to spend time working in accounting software and handing out translation assignments, paying bills, and preparing taxes for a corporation any more, I’m now able to indulge in my true love - a visual artist in photography and traditional art. I CAN draw and I CAN make artful photographs.

I AM AN ARTIST.

For more of my images, please visit my website:
https://mary-bedy.pixels.com/

Interesting Face


Mission Concepcion Door Handle 102023

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ESCAPE

Signs